Why does the following error occur during installation of the MR3 build of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client? Error: “Lsetup.exe: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.”
The following error is encountered during the installation phase of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client:
“Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.”
The MSI Installer fails to recognize the installation of LiveUpdate and fails to register the SEP component(s) for integration with the LiveUpdate components.
To resolve this issue, please follow the steps outlined below.
- If you have clicked on the OK button once this error is returned and the setup has finished, run the setup again to return the error again. However, DO NOT click on the OK button.
- Navigate to the SEP folder located on Symantec Endpoint Protection CD1 and run LUSETUP.EXE.
- This will return a message saying that the selected Liveupdate components are already installed. Click OK to proceed.
- Run the file LUCHECK.EXE, so the MSI installer can recognize and register SEP with the running installation.
- Now click on the OK button on the LSETUP.EXE error prompt. The installation for the SEP client should proceed without any further errors.